Dental Sealants in Greenwood Village, CO
Welcome to Greenwood Dental Arts
Exceptional oral health care that will make your whole family smile.
Dental sealants are a proactive and effective way to shield your teeth from the threats of bacteria and decay. Teeth have grooves and pits that can easily trap food particles and provide a breeding ground for bacteria. Sealing these vulnerable areas with dental sealants creates a barrier that prevents bacteria and food debris from settling in and causing damage.
What are Tooth Sealants?
Dental sealants are thin, protective coatings made from safe and durable materials. These coatings are applied to the chewing surfaces of your back teeth, which often have intricate grooves and pits that can be challenging to clean thoroughly.
What are Dental Sealants Made of?
Tooth sealants are composed of a specialized resin material that is safe, durable, and biocompatible. This resin is chosen for its ability to adhere to the tooth’s surface. The composition of dental sealants ensures their longevity while effectively shielding your teeth.
What is the Purpose of Sealants?
Sealants are designed to address the vulnerabilities of your back teeth, which are often more susceptible to decay due to their intricate grooves and pits. Molars play a crucial role in chewing and grinding food, and their unique anatomy can make them challenging to clean thoroughly. Molar sealants offer protection for vulnerable teeth, ensuring that they remain strong, healthy, and functional.
The Dental Sealant Process
- Dental Examination and Assessment – The process begins with an initial dental examination and assessment. Our dental professionals will examine your teeth and identify teeth with grooves and pits that are particularly vulnerable to decay.
- Cleaning and Preparation of the Tooth Surface – Once the teeth that would benefit from sealants are identified, we ensure they are thoroughly cleaned and prepared. This process involves removing any debris and plaque from the tooth’s surface, creating an environment for the sealant material to adhere securely.
- Application of the Dental Sealant – With the tooth surface prepped, the dental sealant material is applied. The specialized resin is carefully placed onto the targeted grooves and pits, forming a protective layer against bacteria and acids.
- Curing and Bonding the Sealant – Once the sealant material is applied, it’s cured using a specialized light to activate the bonding process. This ensures the sealant securely adheres to the tooth’s surface, creating a long-lasting protective shield.
Benefits of Dental Sealants
- Effective Protection against Cavities: Dental sealants create a barrier that shields your teeth from harmful bacteria and acids. Sealing off the grooves and pits where bacteria often accumulate reduces the risk of cavities developing.
- Longevity of Sealants and Minimal Maintenance: Dental sealants are designed to stand the test of time. Once applied, they provide durable protection for several years with minimal maintenance required.
- Improved Oral Hygiene and Cleaning: Sealants create a smooth surface on the chewing surfaces of your teeth, making them easier to clean and maintain. Brushing and flossing become more effective in preventing plaque buildup and maintaining your oral health.
- Safeguarding Young Teeth during Critical Years: Dental sealants are particularly beneficial for children and adolescents. As young teeth develop and mature, they are more susceptible to cavities due to factors such as dietary habits and oral hygiene practices.
Tooth Sealants in Greenwood Village, CO
Addressing small dental problems avoids the potential complications that can come in the future. Schedule your next appointment at Greenwood Dental Arts in Greenwood Village, CO, to see if dental sealants can benefit you. During your consultation, our team will assess your unique needs, answer your questions, and determine a personalized treatment plan for you.